Monday, February 2, 2015

Monday Musings ~ The Beech

Today's post is part of a blog collective put together by Aine at Bones and Sky. The participants are listed in the right sidebar of her blog. Feel free to join in! At the beginning of every week we are to post about a dream, coincidence, spiritual awakening or other ethereal occurrence. 
When I read Aine's post last Monday, I found the idea of sharing dreams, intuitive insights intriguing. More often than not I have found in reading blogs or perusing the internet, that many people have similar thoughts or experiences at very nearly the same time. Coincidence? I don't believe in coincidences. The Universe works in many strange ways and sometimes we are shown this commonality to reinforce a point. 

I didn't know where to start with this post, so as a prompt, I drew a card from the Celtic Tree Oracle card deck. I drew the Beech. 
THE CELTIC TREE ORACLE 
by Liz and Colin Murray

As the wisdom and beauty of the past and tastes and ideas change or are discarded, the thirst for knowledge of the questioning spirit will always continue. You will often need to turn to the past and its works in order to rediscover lost wisdom and to find a firm basis on which to construct further ideas and interpretations. If a writer or craftsman has felt the urge or commitment to express his feeling in a tangible way, you too have an obligation to observe this work and further it in your own time.

The Beech's elements are air and earth. She is related to meditation, ancient wisdom and the power of the written word. The Beech tells us to pay heed to the knowledge which can be found in books. The Beech is thought of as The Mother of the Woods. The Irish god Ogma, a Tuatha de Danaan, is credited with creating the Ogham language and wrote it first on a slab of Beech. And lastly, the Beech encourages the crossing of thresholds. She reminds us to confront that which is challenging us because it is only through experiencing the unknown can we expand our knowledge.

I had to ponder on this card for a bit to fully understand its meanings. Much of what it told me pertained to a writing project I have been researching - that I was on the right track. But in reading about the Beech, I realized that I was being reminded that I needed to address an issue. I have never been good at meditating and have been trying to work on becoming better. But I have found it hard to find good instruction on the subject. I know I need to fully grasp the ability to meditate in order to progress further in my studies of energy and ancient wisdom. 
My interpretations of the Beech also tell me that it is important to pass on the information and knowledge we possess. To write down the wonders and thoughts and workings and dreams of our lives for those who have yet to come.

4 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

Good way to start a Monday :-)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Very cool, Jeanne! And I like the quotation you chose for the end of the post. Imbolc blessings to you!

Aine O'Brien said...

Thanks for the mention! As for meditation, I find that whatever method you choose, you have to be completely comfortable with it. For instance, I do not like guided meditations, preferring to let things happen. The biggest obstacle is to find a way to keep from becoming distracted by thoughts. I read in a book once that when you feel yourself getting distracted you can bring yourself back by visualizing numbers from 10 to 1. Sounds wrong, doesn't it? numbers? But strangely it worked for me. Once I was back to 1, I could start again....

RPLancaster said...

Hello Jeanne,
Did you pull that particular card for me, The Beech Tree?
Because all that you mentioned is where and what I'm dealing with right now.
Again I am in a state of wonder.