Friday, March 9, 2012

A Dye Job

The Cotton Candy bouquets need to be blue. I thought about using food coloring but wasn't sure if the fiberfill would 'hold' the color so I decided to use fabric dye, aka RIT. My first attempt at coloring the fiberfill was with straight RIT. Unfortunately the color washed right out. So I decided to try 'cooking' the fiberfill in a solution of 1/2 water and 1/2 RIT.



I layed the fiberfill sheets in the dye solution, brought it to a boil and simmered the concoction for about 5 minutes. This worked out well. Not only did the color stay in the fiberfill but it also stayed in the handle of my wooden spoon as well as my hands.


But the finished product is a pretty blue. 


I then reassembled the Cotton Candy using heavier paper for the center of the Candy as well as for the cone which holds the Cotton Candy. I trimmed the upper edge of the fiberfill after I took this picture to give it a more rough look. Personally, I think I need to add another layer or two of fiberfill to make the candy part a bit 'fluffier' (I think the fiberfill compacted a bit during the cooking process) but I shall let the bride make the final decision. I'll keep you posted.....




2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Beautiful blue and the polka dotted paper cone really makes it look authentic too!

Suzie Ridler said...

I love it! I wonder if this could be done on a small scale. I love the idea of a cotton candy pendant. Good job!