Saturday, February 27, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

I Love Pot Pies. And here's a recipe than can be baked in a pie plate like the one below or in a cast iron skillet with a pie crust top.

2 Tblspn Butter                                           
1Onion, chopped
4 carrots, sliced
2 ribs celery, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 potatoes, diced
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tspn pepper
2 Tblspn Flour
3 Tblspn milk or cream
2 cp chicken broth
1 cp frozen peas or lima beans
4 cp chopped or shredded chicken

I like to get my chicken on the bone. I will boil the chicken & debone it. Reserving the chicken broth for later use.
Preheat oven to 400 deg. Heat butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, carrots and cook until the carrots begin to soften. Season with salt & pepper.
Reduce the heat and stir in the flour. Then stir in the cream and broth until combined. Cook several minutes until slightly thickened. Add chicken, frozen veget, potatoes. Remove from heat.
Place pie crust over the top of the chicken mixture. Cut vents in the top of the crust. Bake approx. 35-40 min. or until the top of the crust is browned.
**NOTE** Cooking time will be longer when baking in a pie plate with a top and bottom crust.

8 comments:

Dede said...

This looks so yummy. And is perfect for a rainy day like today.

(((HUGS)))

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Jeanne ~ I love pot pies too , made 3 a few weeks ago , they freeze well too. My recipe was a little different , I may try yours soon. Would love to make a dozen and put them in the freezer , they would come in handy for busy days.

~ Many Blessings ~

Jeanne said...

You're so right, JoyceAnn. Pot pies freeze real well! I like to put them in small individual size dishes. :0)

Bloomin'Chick Jo said...

Your post pie is Gorgeous! I don't usually make 'em so pretty honestly but at least they taste good!

Jeanne said...

Taste good is all that matters!! :0)

Yarni Gras! said...

looks delicious! I'll be trying this one.....

Anonymous said...

I need me some chicken pot pie... yep, yep, yep :0)

Bridgett said...

This looks blissfully delicious. I'm like you...pot pies are one of my favorites.