Thursday, October 8, 2009

Oh Nuts!!


I gathered nuts yesterday.

Here in the WildWoods, there is an abundance of natural foods to gather and eat. Among them are nuts - pecans, black walnuts, and chestnuts to name a few.

We have four large pecan trees in front of the house and every year we are serenaded to the plunk, plunk, ting of the pecans falling on the courtyard or the lid of the metal grill. (oval shaped in front of pic)
In the backyard we have black walnut trees. They drop tennis ball size gems which make a horrible racket when run over with the mower. (large round green thing)
The chestnuts are the most fascinating. They come in a spiny husk that pops open when ripe and two or three chestnuts will drop to the ground. You don't want to walk on one of these barefoot! (four nuts & what looks like a spiny hedgehog on the right)

Of course, Our bounty is shared with squirrels, opossums, raccoons, and armadillos......

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Cool! The only nuts we have around here are acorns.

stefanie said...

love nuts, my dad has a couple of chestnut trees, those are sharp!!!!
hope you are having a great week.

Rue said...

I pick fallen chestnuts not far from here - they look really neat in their spiny 'pod'!

AwtemNymf said...

I don't have any nuts around here :O( unless you count my husband and I haha!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

When we lived in TX my Mom had a couple of pecan tree's in her yard...yippee for free pecans for pies!!

I remember sitting and cracking nuts with my dear Papaw!

Hope your day is fantastic!

Bridgett said...

My parents have a walnut tree in their front yard. If those things get cracked open, they really stain your hands.

I love nuts though. Yum.
Pecans are some of my favorite. :)


)O(
boo