Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Brief Ski (NOT) Getaway

After a horrendously stressful Christmas, I took the opportunity  over the New Year's weekend to get away for a few days to the heart of Colorado Ski Country. But I didn't go skiing. I spent the time looking around the area where Hubby now spends most of the week living and working.  A place that seems to be at the top of the world.



Note elevation at bottom left of GPS - 11,014 ft.
Don't forget, you can click on a photo to enlarge it!
And since I don't do much skiing anymore, I spent my time walking along the Blue River (last week's Winter Walk pics were from along the Blue River in Silverthorne. Click here to see the post!), marveling at the Ice Castle which is being built at the Silverthorne Town Center (Click here for more info!  I plan on going back in February to see it again), wandering the Dillon Cemetery (I'll have a post about it on Friday, so check back!), and reconnecting with Nature. But mostly I spent my time enjoying my Hubby's company, something I don't get to do much of anymore.






The town of Silverthorne, where Hubby works, is situated on the Blue River below the Dillon Reservoir. It is nestled between the Gore Mountains to the West and the Continental Divide to the East. The valley in which the town sits is surrounded by numerous majestic mountains and at least six major ski areas. The towns of Dillon, Frisco, and Breckenridge all sit within an hour's drive of  this alpine community.

Looking West at the Town of Silverthorne with Buffalo Mountain on left, Red Mountain on right.

Eagle nest on top of utility pole
Silverthorne began as a makeshift camp for the workers who built the Dillon Dam, which was constructed in 1961. In a very short amount of time, it has grown into a very metropolitan town. It isn't unusual to hear many different dialects being spoken at any given restaurant or outlet store. And an interesting FYI, the Dillon reservoir is a water source for the city of Denver. But more about that on Friday.....

Dillon Dam and road on top of dam can be seen as level brown area in back of photo
Looking west over Dillon Reservoir
Driving west on Dam Road with reservoir on the left

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It looks idyllic and that Ice Castle rocks! Sorry to hear that Xmas involved a lot of stress for you. That sucks.

Wendy S. said...

Nothing like kitties, well animals and nature to soothe the soul after the holidays, ughhh….so glad they're over. My parents have a house in Aspen, and while I can't stand the snobbery of some of the "Aspenites" ; )
I love the nature and quiet there. This is why I'm moving to N.M. so that I can just walk gently and find the beauty where I can. Gorgeous photos, Jeanne and that castle is wonderful...

Robin Larkspur said...

Colorado looks like the most beautiful place on Earth!! The ice castle lit up is gorgeous. I hope the year just gets better and better for you; it must!! sending you a big hug and a frothy cup of hot cocoa!!

The Artful Gypsy aka Wendy the Very Good Witch said...

Well Happy New Year Jeanne! I can tell by the opening of this post that you and I both are glad to be 'post holidays'! This is my first day back here since Nov. as well. Had no time during the crazy hectic stressful holiday season....blech! Looking forward to a more relaxed year in 2012....I hope! And your lovely excursion sounds divine. I really need to make a weekend getaway myself. Hope all else is well and that you are still able to get some crafting in! Looking forward to the long countdown to October! :o)
~ W

BeFRuiTFuL KReaTioNS said...

Jeanne your hubby found a job in Silverthorn. Will you be moving there? The photos are gorgeous. We almost moved to Dillon many years ago and David's parents had a weekend house there.

Jeanne said...

Hi JoEllen! We're eventually going to move somewhere up there...we've been keeping our eye on a few places in the Leadville area.

BeFRuiTFuL KReaTioNS said...

Leadville is really cold girl but so is Dillon. The scenery in the area is gorgeous though. Really enjoyed your photos. It brings a little home to the desert for me.