Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Year of the Bat

"Together with Bats"


2011-2012 was been deemed The Year of the Bat. The United Nations Environment Programme has joined with various other world agencies to help celebrate the Bat. The only flying mammal in the world. 



Bats are mysterious and maligned but they are essential to the environment. They assist with night-time pollination, distribute seeds, and are aggressive in the area of insect control. 
Please join with us and help celebrate this denizen of the night. 

(This is a cross-post from The Haunted Gardens - a community garden blog I belong to.)

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm creeped out by bats but also find them kind of fascinating.

Jennifer MacNeill said...

I love bats, amazing creatures!

Danni said...

I love bats! I'm so glad they're being brought to light and celebrated. It's about time! ;)

JJ said...

I have bats that fly around my house at dusk in the summer and autumn. I'm in awe of them. They're such fabulous little creatures. Sometimes they fly so close that I can feel the wind from their wing beats. That's when I'm really in awe of them.

Unknown said...

Hmm...I thought this was the year of the Rabbit :) But bats are so beautiful, we even have little brown ones here in the city!

Jeanne said...

Zan, The Year of the Bat is a proclamation made by several world organizations to bring about awareness of how helpful the little bat is. You are thinking about the Chinese zodiac and 2011 being the year of the rabbit.

Wendy said...

One of my very fave. children's books, is "Stella Luna" and ever since I read that to my son when he was little, I've loved bats. Also, Batman isn't too shabby. Well, according to the Korean Culture it's the "Year of the Cat" but bats, cats, hey, why not? ;)