|image source |
This is the Cave of the Winds Facility and Cave entrance as viewed across the canyon
Cave of the Winds was first discovered in 1869 by Arthur C. Love, a settler to the area. Later in 1880, two brothers by the name of Pickett explored the original cave and discovered a larger cave system and the tourist attraction of Cave of the Winds was opened the following year.
|Cave of the Winds map|
|The broken column seen on right side of photo was once connected but due to shifting rock formations, the column has broken and moved apart over the eons.|
|polished flow stone|