Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Roadtrip ~ Pioneer Cemetery

As all of you Faithful Readers out there know, no trip for Hubby & I would be complete without a visit to the local cemetery.


And Pioneer Cemetery which rests on a hill overlooking Glenwood Springs is a very special cemetery. 


It is the resting place for Harvey A. Logan a.k.a Kid Curry who was a member of Butch Cassidy's gang. 
And for Doc Holliday's gravestone.



No one knows for sure where John Henry Holliday a.k.a. Doc Holliday of OK Corral fame, is buried. But a memorial to this famous gunslinger has been erected and many people leave a token for him. Hubby had a bit of a smoke with Ol' Doc. And they talked about playing poker.


Heading up the trail toward the cemetery felt more like a pilgrimage than a hike. It was quite the trek up the hill!  


There was even a tree festooned with ribbons and flags alongside the trail.





Many of the headstones we saw were newer - the originals having become part of the landscape around us. 


The grave markers we see only represent some of the deceased buried here on this site. These are the remains of the hard working-class pioneers who's hands built Glenwood Springs. They were a multi-racial workforce of immigrants and recently freed slaves and others who came to love this land. Some are unknown.


Many of the names we saw were of children. 



And the years 1918 - 1922 were a common thread amongst many of the names we read.

Epitaph not written in English.


Pioneer Cemetery is nice. A beautiful view and a nice old growth of trees give the residents a pleasant resting spot. I could have spent more time there.





7 comments:

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

Fantastic pictures. Love old pioneer cemeteries. Thanks for sharing my friend.

Cheers!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

There's something so peaceful about old cemeteries. Interesting to see all the headstones and Doc Holliday's memorial.

the dogs' mother said...

As long as none of the ghosties followed you home!

Birdie said...

I am new here from "She Who Seeks".

I love cemeteries! I have traveled all over Canada and have stopped at hundreds of them. Fortunately, my husband is patient and lets me ramble and take pictures. Not many people love cemeteries so thanks for the post. :-)

Birdie said...

I see you are from Canada. Have you read, "Once Upon a Tomb" by Nancy Miller? It is a book about Canadian cemeteries. An excellent book for any person that loves cemeteries.

Jeanne said...

Hi Birdie! Welcome! :0)

Actually I am from the US - I live in Colorado. But the book you mentioned sounds interesting! I love reading about cemeteries! I shall see if I can find it. Thank you for mentioning it to me. :0)

Rue said...

The land there looks very much like my area of southern British Columbia - right down to the sagebrush.

What an interesting place! And the resting place of some interesting folks!