Thursday, April 26, 2018

Pepe came for a visit

image source
What better way to celebrate May Day than with an odoriferous post!

A few weeks back Pepe came for a visit at our house and one of the Dogs encountered him. Actually, he showed up in the middle of the night.

One of the Dogs just HAD to go outside in the middle of the night. So Hubby gets up and lets the Dogs out - without thinking. Then we realized just why the Dog HAD to go outside. He had heard something lurking in the yard (why can't they do that when the Coon is snooping around?)

Well, Hubby let the Dog back in the house not realizing the Dog had been sprayed, Hubby just thought Dog had scared a skunk away from the yard. Dog then promptly came into our bedroom and immediately tried to rub the spray off his neck and chest onto our carpet! AUGH!!!!!

So, at 2am I ushered Dog back outside, Hubby to bed and set a bowl of vinegar in bedroom to kill some of the odor so Hubby could get some sleep. I then researched what to use on Dog. And carpet.

Long story short, I used hydrogen peroxide and baking soda on Dog. I made a mixture of the two with some added dog shampoo which contained coconut oil. I rubbed this mix into his fur especially around the neck and chest where the skunk had sprayed. I let it sit for about 5 minutes then added water and proceeded to wash Dog. Hubby came home later with a skunk deodorizer shampoo which worked very well. 

Bedroom carpet was cleaned with skunk deodorizer shampoo and then again with regular rug shampoo. Dog also received another bath three days later. Faint odor lasted about 2 wks but Hubby said it was all in my head - he couldn't smell it.  I have since taken measures to help insure Pepe can no longer come to visit the yard. I have planted flowers on the outside of the fence!

3 comments:

the dogs' mother said...

The black and white kitty is to be feared!!!
I agree with you the odor will linger.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh no! Peeeeeeeeee-uuuuuuuuuuuu!

FreeDragon said...

Lol, I've been through this with my dogs. The smell lingered on one (2 were sprayed) and I finally bathed her with tomato juice. I think how long the smell lasts depends on what kind of fur the dog has. I had to scrub down my door frame, door, and cabinet because the dogs rubbed the spray on those things as they came barreling into the house.